Classic Rock 92.1 Local Sports Update – February 22, 2017
LHSAA Men's Basketball Playoffs
The LHSAA Men's basketball playoff brackets were released last night. Here are the first round match-ups featuring schools from Southwest Louisiana:
(1) Washington Marion will host (32) Leesville
(12) DeRidder will host (21) Salmen
(11) LaGrange will host (22) Franklinton
(18) Crowley will travel to face (15) Northside
(17) Westlake will travel to face (16) Marksville
(9) Jennings will host (24) Avoyelles
(12) Iowa will host (21) North Vermillion
(30) Iota will travel to face (3) Carroll
(6) South Beauregard will host (27) Pine Prairie
(32) Rosepine will travel to face (1) Madison Prep
(9) Welsh will host (24) Lakeside
(11) Kinder will host (22) Pickering
(27) Oakdale will travel to face (6) North Caddo
(10) Lake Arthur will host (23) Cohen College Prep
(26) Vinton will travel to face (7) Sophie B. Wright
(32) Oberlin will travel to face (1) Sicily Island
(21) Merryville will travel to face (12) Haynesville
(13) Grand Lake will host (20) Logansport
(30) East Beauregard will travel to face (3) Delhi Charter
(27) South Cameron will travel to face (6) Tensas
(26) Basile will travel to face (7) Arcadia
(15) Lake Charles College Prep will host (18) Elton
(13) Bell City will host (20) Hornbeck
(26) Lacassine will travel to face (7) Negreet
(21) Hackberry will travel to face (12) Pleasant Hill
(10) Starks will host (23) Plainview
(15) Johnson Bayou will host (18) Reeves
(16) Notre Dame will host (17) Catholic of New Iberia
Other teams that have made the field, but will have a first round bye include: Hathaway, Elizabeth, Singer, St. Louis, and Hamilton Christian. First round action will begin to take place on Friday.
It was a record setting night for the McNeese baseball team as they throttle UL-Monroe by scoring a school record 32 runs in a 32-4 defeat of the Warhawks. The Cowboys also broke a school record for most runs in one inning by scoring 15 in the fifth inning. They also broke the record for most hits in a game with 29.
The Cowboys remain undefeated on this young season and will take their hot bats out west this weekend when they take on the Arizona Wildcats in a four game series starting tomorrow night. Arizona is also undefeated with a 4-0 record after sweeping Eastern Kentucky in a four game series last weekend.
The LSU baseball team suffered their first loss last night with an 11-8 loss against the University of New Orleans. With the loss, LSU falls to 3-1 on the season and will return to the diamond tonight when they take on Hofstra at Alex Box Stadium. First pitch for that game will be at 6:30.
The McNeese softball team returns to action today when they travel to Waco, Texas for a huge double header with the Baylor Lady Bears. On the season, Baylor is 7-3 overall and currently ranked 24th in the nation. First pitch for the double header is set for 4:00. The game can be seen on Fox Sports Southwest. (Suddenlink Channel 38)
Women's College Basketball
The McNeese Women's basketball team returns to the court tonight after winning two of their last three games and looks to get back to a .500 record on the season. They will be traveling to Houston to take on Southland Conference foe Houston Baptist. The Cowgirls defeated Houston Baptist 68-53 back on January 7th. Tip-off for that game is for 6:00 tonight and the game can be heard on our sister station, Cajun Radio 1470AM, 1290 AM, and at cajunradio.com.
College Track and Field
The McNeese Track and Field team is in Birmingham, Alabama for the Southland Conference Indoor Track and Field Championships that will take place today and tomorrow. McNeese has a handful of athletes who hope to finish first in their respective events. The athletes to keep an eye on are pole vaulter Nicole Casper, triple jumper John Lemke, shot putter Hiram Morales, Grace McKenzie in the pentathlon, and distance runners Oliver James, Nathan Jones, and Christoph Graf.
The action for day one will get underway today at 8:30 AM with the Heptathlon and Pentathlon. The field events will begin at 1:00 and the running events will begin at noon.