Sheriff Mancuso Warns Citizens to Exercise Caution with Fireworks this July 4th Holiday
The Fourth of July holiday is upon us and Sheriff Tony Mancuso has issued some tips for safety for your 4th of July celebration in Calcasieu Parish.
The Fourth of July is synonymous with barbecues, picnic baskets, and of course, fireworks. Although fireworks may be exciting to watch, they can be extremely dangerous if handled improperly. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), in 2008, seven people died and an estimated 7,000 were treated in emergency rooms for fireworks-related injuries in the United States. Most fireworks injuries occurred to consumers younger than 20 and resulted in the loss of a limb in many cases.
Sheriff Mancuso says, “While fireworks are a beautiful sight, there are very real risks involved, from fire hazards, to the risk of injury. Families are encouraged to take advantage of professional, public fireworks displays this Independence Day.”
For the citizens of Calcasieu Parish who do intend to purchase and use fireworks during the upcoming holiday, Sheriff Mancuso offers the following fireworks safety suggestions:
* Obey all local laws regarding the use of fireworks.
* Always read and follow the label directions carefully.
* Always have a garden hose or water bucket nearby for medical emergencies and/or to douse spent or misfired fireworks.
* Adults should always supervise fireworks activity.
* Fireworks should be placed on a hard, smooth surface prior to ignition. NEVER light fireworks in your hand.
* Quickly light one firework at a time, and move away quickly after lighting.
* Never point or throw fireworks at people, pets, cars, or buildings.
* Keep fireworks away from small children.
* Do not alter or make your own fireworks.
* After displays, never pick up fireworks that may be left over.
* Never try to relight fireworks that have not fully functioned.
* Remember, alcoholic beverages and fireworks never mix.
Be responsible this Independence Day and exercise extreme caution to protect yourself and your family from a needless accident.
Be safe and have a great Holiday!!!!