Classic Rock 92.1 Local Sports Update – February 24, 2017
LHSAA Girls Basketball Playoffs
Here are the scores from the quarterfinal round last night:
(1) Barbe 49, (9) Southwood 46
(2) DeRidder 50, (7) Huntington 49
(21) Iowa 39, (4) Ville Platte 77
(1) South Beauregard 76, (9) Brusly 43
(2) Iota 71, (7) Madison 64 OT
(2) Lake Arthur 52, (7) Doyle 44
(2) Merryville 70, (7) Tensas 66
(9) Hathaway 54, (1) Florien 72
(12) Johnson Bayou 71, (4) Dodson 78
(6) St. Louis 58, (3) University Lab 66
The Girls Marsh Madness state tournament will take place in Hammond, Louisiana starting on Monday.
LHSAA Men's Basketball Playoffs
The high school boys basketball playoffs began last night and continue tonight in Southwest Louisiana. Here are the first round match-ups for Southwest Louisiana schools along with scores of those teams who played last night:
(1) Washington Marion 79, (32) Leesville 55
(12) DeRidder will host (21) Salmen tonight at 7:00
(11) LaGrange will host (22) Franklinton
(18) Crowley will travel to face (15) Northside
(17) Westlake will travel to face (16) Marksville.
(9) Jennings will host (24) Avoyelles tonight at 6:30
(12) Iowa will host (21) North Vermillion tonight 7:00
(30) Iota will travel to face (3) Carroll
(6) South Beauregard will host (27) Pine Prairie
(32) Rosepine will travel to face (1) Madison Prep
(9) Welsh will host (24) Lakeside tonight at 6:30
(11) Kinder 62, (22) Pickering 71
(27) Oakdale will travel to face (6) North Caddo tonight at 6:00
(10) Lake Arthur will host (23) Cohen College Prep tonight at 6:30
(26) Vinton will travel to face (7) Sophie B. Wright
(32) Oberlin will travel to face (1) Sicily Island tonight at 7:00
(21) Merryville will travel to face (12) Haynesville tonight at 7:00
(13) Grand Lake will host (20) Logansport tonight at 7:00
(30) East Beauregard will travel to face (3) Delhi Charter tonight at 6:00
(27) South Cameron will travel to face (6) Tensas
(26) Basile will travel to face (7) Arcadia tonight at 6:00
(15) Lake Charles College Prep will host (18) Elton at 7:00 at LC-Boston Academy Gym
(13) Bell City will host (20) Hornbeck tonight at 6:00
(26) Lacassine will travel to face (7) Negreet tonight at 6:30
(10) Starks will host (23) Downsville tonight at 6:00
(15) Johnson Bayou will host (18) Reeves tonight at 6:00
(16) Notre Dame will host (17) Catholic of New Iberia tonight at 6:30 at Northside Christian High School
Men's College Basketball
The McNeese Cowboys returned to the court last night in a must win conference game against Houston Baptist. Unfortunately, the Cowboys blew a twenty point lead in the second half and fell to Houston Baptist 81-79. The Cowboys fall to 7-19 on the season and 4-11 in Southland Conference play. The Cowboys return to the court tomorrow when they travel to take on Texas A&M-Corpus Christi.
After a record breaking performance Tuesday night, the McNeese baseball team returned to action last night against the University of Arizona in the first of a four game series this weekend. Arizona handed McNeese their first loss of the year 9-3. Game two of the four game series will be tonight at 7:00. Game three will be Saturday at 2:00 and game four will be at 1:00 on Sunday.
College Track and Field
The McNeese men's and women's track team wrapped things up at the Southland Conference Indoor Track and Field Championships today.
On the men's side, the Cowboys couldn't quite hold on to their day one lead and end up finishing second with 120 points. They were 22.5 points behind the men's champion Sam Houston who had 142.5 points. On the women's side, the Cowgirls finished sixth with 44 total team points.
After getting swept in a double header in Waco, Texas, the McNeese softball team returns to action tonight when they host Tulsa at Cowgirl Diamond. First pitch for that game is at 6:00 tonight. The Cowgirls will have the day off on Saturday to travel to Ruston for a double header on Sunday against Northern Iowa and Louisiana Tech. First pitch for those games will be at 12:30 and 3:00 Sunday.
Women's College Basketball
The McNeese Women's basketball team returns to the court tomorrow morning for an early start against Texas A&M-Corpus Christi. The Cowgirls will be looking to improve their seeding for the upcoming Southland Conference tournament. Tip-off is tomorrow at 11:30 AM.